FORT PLAIN-In November, 94 Main St. was a gutted hulk on the first floor, smelling of old mud and mold.
Nancy DeVoe was forced to live with her daughter and grandchildren next door for six months while her home at that address was renovated. By Saturday, however, a step towards normalcy was made, with crews of volunteers completing some of the major repairs to the home, replacing the dank smell with a fresh coat of paint.
State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli, who pledged in November that DeVoe would be back in her home by Christmas, was on hand to show the Fort Plain woman the renovated home.
Back in November, when DiNapoli was touring the village, the home was stripped on the first floor, showing bare floor boards and air vents still full of muck from the June floods, which devastated the village and other parts of western Montgomery County, killing one. Lacking heat or power, the place was not fit for habitation, especially with the upcoming winter.
With the efforts of local volunteer groups and the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council No. 9, the home has made significant leaps and bounds to becoming liveable again, according to Jeffrey Stark, Amsterdam Second Ward supervisor and business representative of the council.
According to Stark, more work needs to be done on the home's kitchen, which requires flooring, and on a laundry room in the back. After a break for the holidays, Stark said he is confident that workers can complete the repairs in two days.
DeVoe thought she would never come back to her home or see it revitalized like it has been.
DeVoe said she was happy to finally be back in her home.
"It is unbelievable," DeVoe said.
DiNapoli said much more work needed to be done across the state.
"There are still more homes that need to be rehabbed," DiNapoli said.
According to Pastor Gail Adamoschek of River of Jubilee Church, a dent has been made in the number of people needing help. Adamoschek said it was shocking to consider back in June they thought they would never be able to get people in their homes by December.
"At the end of October, when things were starting to get cold and winter was coming on, there [were] huge concerns about getting people back into their homes or [getting them] heating," Adamoschek said.
Adamoschek said with the cold front that hit the area, workers required propane heaters to keep working.
Adamoschek said there are still homes that require rehab, but many more families are back in their homes now. Adamoschek said repairs could be finished by spring for other homes in the village.