Council awards pedestrian Main Street contract to firm
GLOVERSVILLE — The Common Council on Tuesday night awarded a $744,000 low bid to an Albany County company for the city’s long-awaited Pedestrian Safety Main Street Improvements Project.
The council awarded the bid to James H. Malloy Inc. of Loudonville.
“They’re likely to start in May,” city Department of Public Works Director Christopher Perry told the council at City Hall.
Perry said the project should be completed by September.
The resolution approved by the council calls for awarding of a Pedestrian Safety Main Street Improvements Project bid. Project limits are the intersection of South Main Street and Cayadutta Street, north to the intersection of North Main Street and Prospect Avenue.
A separate resolution was passed authorizing Commissioner of Finance Tammie Weiterschan to execute a budget modification for the project. The city previously received a $660,000 Pedestrian Safety Grant from the state Department of Transportation.
A total of $505,500 grant funds remain after engineering, design, and project management costs totaling $154,500. But the council desires to have the “full scope of work above the grant funding completed,” the resolution said, thus the budget modification. The modification involves: Increasing appropriations in DPW contracts and agreements by $238,500; increasing revenue in New York State Aid to Municipalities by $230,000; and decreasing contingency by $8,500.
The Pedestrian Safety Main Street Improvements Project, as revised, will include pedestrian safety improvements at six downtown intersections along South and North Main streets at Cayadutta Street, Forest Street, East and West Fulton Streets, Church Street, Prospect Avenue and Spring Street and the mid-block crossing in front of the Gloversville Pharmacy and the Glove Theatre.
The project will see new pedestrian signals and push button controls, pedestrian signage, crosswalks, curb extensions or bulb outs that extend the sidewalk into intersections to improve pedestrian visibility and shorten crossing distances, drainage and curb cut ramps installed.
City officials in November 2020 reissued a request for proposals for a grant-funded pedestrian safety project with an extended bidding period hoping to secure a wider response pool after an RFP released earlier in 2020 saw bids returned well over engineering estimates.
The council authorized the reissuance of the RFP at the request of Perry, who reportedly worked with DOT and the city’s contracted engineer on the project, Greenman-Pederson Inc., to revise project plans in hopes of securing bids within cost estimates.
City officials in 2018 received a $660,000 state grant award to cover the cost of the improvement project as part of the Pedestrian Safety Action Plan initiative through the Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s Traffic Safety Committee, the state Department of Transportation and the state Department of Health. The grant award is expected to cover all costs related to the project that will see improvements and upgrades related to pedestrian safety installed downtown along Main Street.
The city awarded GPI a contract for design and engineering services in fall 2018 and project plans were reviewed in summer 2019 for proposed construction this summer. Despite the city’s efforts to scale back the scope of the project to keep costs within the roughly $505,000 remaining in available grant funding, the RFP issued for the project in June netted only two responses that were well above cost estimates.
Bids previously opened were returned by Callanan Industries at an estimated cost of $787,787.78 and New Castle Paving for approximately $1.23 million. Perry in August stated that the high bid responses followed a trend DOT had reportedly observed for municipal projects in recent months as contractors have apparently sought to recoup lost revenues related to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.