×

GESD board OKs contract resolutions

GLOVERSVILLE — The Gloversville Enlarged School District Board of Education on Monday approved resolutions awarding a pair of contracts to CSArch to provide architecture and engineering services for a planned roof replacement project at Boulevard Elementary School and a future capital project.

The roof replacement project will utilize remaining funds from the district’s $37.8 million capital project that was approved by voters in 2015 and completed in subsequent years.

Representatives of CSArch and Turner Construction, the architect and construction managers on the project, appeared before the board in January to discuss options for approximately $1 million leftover from the project following the completion of the originally planned work.

The project was expected to have no impact on district taxpayers, with 98 percent of the principal and interest costs to be covered by state building aid and the remaining 2 percent to be covered locally through existing reserve funds.

Given the amount of reimbursable state aid still available, the district’s financial advisor, R.G. Timbs Advisory Group, recommended the district make use of the funds by undertaking an additional project.

The district planned to include roof replacements in a future capital project with the warranties on the roofs of most district buildings that were replaced in 2006-07 set to begin expiring in succession in fall 2021 and roof leaks cropping up across district buildings.

The warranty on Boulevard’s roof will be the first to expire in September 2021, leading district officials working with CSArch and Turner to ultimately select the replacement of roughly half of the school’s roof for the leftover capital project funds.

The contract awarded to CSArch for the roof project encompasses design work and submission of completed plans to the state Education Department by June 30. Following state approval the project will be sent out to bid in December for planned construction in summer 2021.

The anticipated construction budget for the roof replacement project is estimated at $900,000. The contract awarded by the district to CSArch includes a fee of $76,500 for design and planning services.

During discussions with the school board over possible projects to undertake in January, GESD Superintendent David Halloran stated that the district would begin planning another capital project this year. The second contract awarded to CSArch on Monday will encompass capital project planning with December identified as the target date for a public referendum.

Work will include preparation of a building condition survey, development of conceptual solutions to address identified needs, evaluation and selection of preferred concepts, preparation of anything required under the State Environmental Quality Review Act and support to the district surrounding the referendum.

The contract includes a $48,500 fee to CSArch for pre-referendum services with post-referendum services to be calculated upon successful passage following a public vote.

Halloran stated previously that the district will develop a capital project with no anticipated impact to district taxpayers.

Priority projects identified by Halloran and the Board of Education for possible inclusion in a capital project include full remediation of the playing field at Kingsborough Elementary School with a bus loop and parking lot to be installed over a portion of the field, the installation of secure vestibules at school buildings, measures to improve the traffic patterns at Gloversville High School and additional roof replacements at school buildings.

Following Monday’s meeting Halloran spoke favorably of CSArch looking forward to working with the architecture firm on another capital project.

“They’ve been our architects for years, they have a good idea of what our priorities are and what our needs are,” Halloran said.

COMMENTS