×

Fan motor malfunction caused evacuation at Paul Nigra Center

MAYFIELD — A malfunction with a fan in one of the bathrooms in the Paul Nigra Center for Creative Arts led to an evacuation of the building for safety purposes.

Mayfield Fire Department responded to a call at the arts center on Route 30 Tuesday morning after reports of an electrical smell throughout the building. Firefighters were able to quickly determine the cause to be a fan malfunction.

“The Nigra Arts Center is grateful for the quick response of the Mayfield Fire Department, Fulton County Sheriff’s Office and the New York state police to an event earlier today on our campus when we had a fan motor malfunction. Their quick actions and professional assistance helped get us back to normal operating within a short time,” the arts center stated on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

Wally Hart, executive director of the Lexington Foundation said when they entered the building Tuesday morning, it smelled like something electrical was burning so they immediately called the fire department and evacuated the building.

“We smelled something and knew something wasn’t right,” Hart said.

He said once the fire department was able to determine there wasn’t a fire or anything serious, members at the Paul Nigra Center were able to re-enter the building.

Hart said the fire department was able to determine the motor to a fan in one of the bathrooms was rubbing which caused the smell. An electrician was able to quickly fix the fan.

“Mayfield did really wonderful,” Hart said. “We’re grateful for how quickly the fire department responded.”

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today