Northampton house fire under investigation

NORTHAMPTON — A house fire that occurred Saturday afternoon in the attic that injured a firefighter remains under investigation.

Fulton County Fire Coordinator Steve Santa Maria said the Northville Fire Department was dispatched to 602 Bunker Hill Road in the town at approximately 2:56 p.m. for a report of an attic fire. The Edinburg Fire Department and Hope Volunteer Fire Department were also dispatched to the scene. Assisting them were the Mayfield Fire Department.

“Upon arrival, there was smoke visible coming from the attic,” Santa Maria said.

He said in addition to the fire in the attic, there was heavy fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Santa Maria said fire crews did an aggressive interior and exterior attack on the blaze.

Also at the scene of the fire were the fire coordinator, Northampton Ambulance and the EMS coordinator. The code enforcement officer was also called to the scene to look at the structure.

Emergency responders remained on scene until about 5:11 p.m. and fire investigators remained on scene until about midnight.

“It remains under investigation,” Santa Maria said.

While at the scene, one of the firefighters injured their wrist while putting the ladder down. The firefighter was treated at the scene and transported to Nathan Littauer Hospital for a possible fractured wrist, Santa Maria said.

There was one occupant home at the time of the fire. The individual made it out with no injuries. There were no pets in the home at the time of the fire.

Santa Maria said he does not believe the heating system was the cause of the fire, or that the cold was a factor. But as cold weather approaches and residents begin to turn their heat on, he would like to remind community members to be safe when using heating systems, such as space heaters.

Santa Maria said not to plug space heaters into any kind of power strip or outlet extension as the cords can eventually overheat and start a fire.

Santa Maria said a majority of the fires that occur during the year happen in the cold season due to poorly maintained heating equipment.

He said be sure to regularly inspect heating systems, clean any heating systems and keep chimneys clean, and check smoke detectors.