Small electrical fire contained at NLH

Members of the Gloversville and Johnstown fire departments and Gloversville police responded to a reported fire on the third floor of Nathan Littauer Hospital Friday around 7:21 a.m. (The Leader-Herald/Ashley Onyon)

By ASHLEY ONYON

The Leader-Herald

GLOVERSVILLE — Staff members at Nathan Littauer Hospital were able to extinguish a small electrical fire on the third floor at a nurses station on Friday morning before fire crews arrived without any disruptions to hospital services.

The Gloversville Fire Department was dispatched to Nathan Littauer Hospital at 7:27 a.m. on Friday after hospital staff noticed an issue on the third floor, pulled a manual alarm on the wall and called 911 to notify local agencies of a fire on that floor, according to Second Battalion Chief Brandt Minkler.

Minkler said Friday that staff members met arriving fire crews at the hospital entrance to inform firefighters that a small electrical fire had broken out on the third floor in the area of a nurses station and had been put out using a portable fire extinguisher.

“It was a very small electrical fire,” Minkler said, adding that the fire appeared to be the result of a malfunctioning portable space heater.

Minkler noted that the fire did not cause any damage or injuries and fire crews provided assistance ventilating the area of the fire where smoke and powder from the ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher had created a haze. Fire crews turned over the scene to hospital engineering and maintenance staff at 8:20 a.m. for additional clean-up.

The incident did not require the evacuation of any patients or building staff and did not cause any disruption in hospital service, according to a statement from Nathan Littauer Hospital on Friday.

“Nathan Littauer employees responded to a small electrical fire on the third floor nurses station today at approximately 7:21 a.m. A code was called and the fire was quickly contained by staff. Doors to patients’ rooms were shut during the response. Local fire and police crews arrived on scene quickly. No patients were moved or injured. The code was cleared at 9:11 a.m. No hospital services were disrupted,” the statement read.

Additional assistance was provided on scene by the Johnstown Fire Department, Gloversville Police Department, Fulton County Fire Coordinator Steven Santa Maria and the Greater Amsterdam Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

COMMENTS