People continue to investigate fatal hit and run

GLOVERSVILLE — The investigation into the death of 61-year-old city resident Lawrence Douglas Irby Jr. following a hit and run accident on April 13 continued Monday night when police temporarily shutdown the accident site to conduct testing.

The accident in which a vehicle struck Irby, who was using a motorized wheelchair, and then fled the scene, occurred on East Fulton Street between Judson Street and Littauer Place on April 13 around 8:20 p.m. Responding officers located Irby suffering from severe injuries as a result of the crash. He was transported to Nathan Littauer Hospital where he later died.

In a press release on April 15, police said the driver and two occupants of the vehicle at the time of the crash had been located. The individuals were reportedly interviewed by police and released.

The vehicle involved in the accident, a late model SUV, was additionally located and impounded by police for investigative analysis.

City police are working closely on the investigation with the state police Collision Reconstruction Unit and the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office. Members of the three agencies along with members of the city fire department returned to the crash site on Monday night to conduct testing related to the ongoing investigation.

According to a press release issued on Tuesday, the testing on Monday night necessitated the closure of East Fulton Street from Chestnut Street to Fremont Street and connected side streets for less than an hour.

While specific details related to the testing were not released, police noted that the procedure included the activation of a police siren and the screeching of tires from hard braking.

Earlier on Monday, officers were observed placing no parking signs along Littauer Place around 2:45 p.m. When contacted for comment immediately afterwards, Capt. Anthony Clay said only that the signs related to the investigation into an incident in the area.

When asked about the status of the investigation into Irby’s death, Clay said on Monday, “We’re still taking investigative steps.”

Clay declined to discuss any specific aspects of the investigation, but acknowledged that police have collected a large amount of evidence that they are actively working to process and analyze while conducting a thorough investigation for contemplation of charges by Fulton County District Attorney Chad Brown.

“We want to give him as much as we can,” Clay said. “We feel it is better to thoroughly complete an investigation and make sure we have all of our ducks in a row.”

“We are doing what we believe is in the best interest of the case,” he added.

Tuesday’s press release stated that city police, “will have no further comment regarding potential charges, arrests or details of the investigation.”

City police are continuing to investigate the case that has been turned over to the district attorney for review.