Cemetery historical sign to be erected
BLEECKER –The Bleecker Historical Society will complete their project of erecting historical markers for the cemeteries in the town of Bleecker at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. The final marker will be dedicated at that time recognizing the St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery on Shrine Road which runs off the Persch Road, according to a news release.
David Cummings, Colonel, U.S. Army (retired) of Schuylerville, member and past president of the Saratoga Ancient Order of Hibernians, will give a brief presentation.
Cummings and members of the Hibernians’ group have been clearing brush and cleaning stones at the cemetery over the summer. They have also undertaken the cleaning and repair of the shrine marking the site of the first Catholic church that was erected in Fulton County in the 1850s that stood near the cemetery.
Cummings is completing a research paper which he will publish on both properties and is gathering information about persons interred in the cemetery. He will talk with descendants of those interred at the site or who have memories or photos of the “new” St. Joseph’s Chapel which was built on Route 112 in Bleecker about 1920 and of St. Barbara’s Catholic Chapel of Caroga Lake. Both of these buildings were erected from lumber obtained when the original church was torn down. He can be contacted at (518) 366-4762 or firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Bleecker town historian for further information.
In case of inclement weather on Saturday, the dedication of the historical marker will be held at Bleecker Community Church Hall, 549 Route 112, to allow for social distancing. Masks are required. Cummings will offer a 30-minute program if this venue is required due to rain.