Helping veterans obtain their high school diplomas

GLOVERSVILLE — There is a New York state regulation that allows school districts to award a high school diploma to any veteran who has served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces, according to a news release.

Even a veteran who has served and has a general equivalency diploma is entitled to a diploma based on their knowledge and experience gained while in the service.

Any veteran who would like to take advantage of this opportunity, can contact Dennis Bye, associate principal of the Gloversville High School and a 27-year Navy retired master chief, can be reached at (518) 775-5711 or dbye@gesdk12.org. Even veterans who do not live in Gloversville, Bye will help them. What veterans need is a written statement that they do not possess a diploma; that they are a New York state resident; and evidence of their service.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)