People in the news
Hannity’s Twitter page compromised
NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News host Sean Hannity’s Twitter account was compromised and was unavailable for a few hours on Saturday, inspiring speculation by his conservative followers that a government cabal they call the “deep state” or a rogue employee could be to blame.
After Hannity’s verified Twitter account posted a message that simply and cryptically said “Form Submission 1649,” visitors said they were getting a “Sorry, that page doesn’t exist” error message. By the time Hannity’s account was back up later in the morning, speculation was rampant about the mysterious disappearance.
Fox News referred questions to Twitter, which confirmed the account had been compromised.
“While we normally do not discuss individual accounts, for privacy and security reasons, we have permission from the account owner to confirm that account was briefly compromised,” Twitter said by email, without elaborating.
Some Hannity followers blamed shadowy “deep state” government figures looking to take down Hannity, who’s a big supporter of President Donald Trump.
“The Deep State is in panic!” tweeted Alex Jones, a far-right radio show host. “Hannity disappears from Twitter after eerie tweet.”
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange took to Twitter to observe how Hannity had his account “mysteriously disappear.”
Other users were rooting for the theory that a rogue Twitter employee was behind the deactivation. That was Twitter’s explanation for an 11-minute outage that took down the Republican president’s twitter account in November.
At the time, Twitter blamed a customer support worker on his or her last day on the job and said it was implementing safeguards to prevent the situation from happening again.
Copperfield voices support for #MeToo
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Magician David Copperfield has declared his support for the Me Too movement in a lengthy statement online in the wake of an allegation of sexual misconduct.
Copperfield says in a Twitter post Wednesday that he has been falsely accused in the past, and that even as he must “weather another storm, I want the movement to continue to flourish.”
The entertainment news site TheWrap.com published accounts this week from a woman who claims Copperfield drugged and assaulted her decades ago when she was a 17-year-old aspiring model.
Copperfield’s statement makes reference to a since-debunked allegation of sexual misconduct made against him by a different woman in 2007. She was later charged with prostitution and making false claims of sexual abuse by another man.
He says he initially did not want to draw attention to that previous case because “false accusers can negatively impact the believability of others and are a true disservice to those who have been victims of sexual misconduct.”
The 61-year-old Copperfield does not address the new accusations directly, but says in his statement to “always listen, and consider everything carefully, but please for everyone’s sake don’t rush to judgment.”