When her mom called me and said she wanted to have a benefit, I didn't hesitate to say yes.
She has been my best friend for more than 30 years. I don't want to sound cliche and say she and her family are wonderful and would do anything for anyone, but they are. My best friend, Ev, and her family lost their home and all of its contents to mold. It was under the home, so they didn't know for seven years. They have all been on a roller-coaster of respiratory illnesses for seven years. Two of the three children have asthma, all because of mold.
Unfortunately, in New York, there isn't much as far as regulations go, and so they turned to their homeowners insurance for guidance. After seven years of paying premiums, all they got was a cancellation notice.
They have been staying with Ev's parents for months. The house was torn down recently. Their goal is to get another house and get their family back to some normalcy. However, they lost everything in the house to the mold - furniture, housewares, toys, clothes. They lost the same as they would've if it had been a house fire - except homeowners insurance would've done their job.
To make matters worse, they recently lost their beloved dog, Buck, the sixth member of their family.
We want to help Ev, Mel, Shelby, Cloey and Corey.
Please join us for a benefit. All of the money raised will go to the Dopp family. The tickets are $10 each and free for those younger than 12.
Please call Sally Bates at 661-6438 or myself at 775-1124 for tickets. If you want to donate for raffles, food or just want to help, please let us know. We're looking forward to a huge turnout.
The benefit will be held Saturday at the Gloversville Moose Lodge from 3 to 7 p.m. with food, music and many raffles.
TAMMI SARTIN EVENS