JOHNSTOWN - Fire destroyed part of a house on East Main Street early Sunday, resulting in injuries to two occupants, city Fire Chief Bruce Heberer said today.
Heberer said fire broke out at about 5 a.m. in a house at 216 E. Main St. He said the cause of the blaze may have been an electric heater.
The building is owned by Gary Gentile of 480 N. Main St., Gloversville.
The fire is still under investigation," Heberer said.
Heberer said the two-story, wood-frame, Colonial-style structure has four apartment units, with the two upstairs units unoccupied. The rear downstairs tenants - Kyle Walrath and Cassidy Page -were injured in the fire.
Heberer said the pair tried to put out the fire themselves before getting out, including pouring milk from the refrigerator on it.
Walrath was transported to Nathan Littauer Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Page was treated at the scene for a cut knee and injured ankle.
Heberer said it is "very important" for residents to realize when a fire breaks out in your home, the first action is to get everyone out of the building and then call 911.
Heberer said residents in this structure fire tried to fight it by themselves.
"Time is our enemy," the chief said.
Heberer said both were asleep at the time of the fire, with Walrath in the living room. Heberer said there was extensive damage to the rear apartment and attic. He said Page was able to get two residents of the front downstairs apartment out of the building.
The fire report says the blaze originated in the southwest corner of the house. The apartment and porch area were fully involved on arrival. All off-duty personnel were called in.
Heberer said no firefighters were hurt.
He said the injured occupants are staying with family members.
Michael Anich covers Johnstown and Fulton County news. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.