A couple of recent fires provided us with a tragic reminder about how important fire safety is, especially when it comes to children.
Two fires in Gloversville last month were started by children using lighters. The blaze at a Fifth Avenue home on March 20 resulted in the death of a 41-year-old man.
Local fire officials have noted nationwide one of the leading causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children younger than age 10 is playing with a heat source, including matches and lighters.
However, there is more to fire safety than keeping children away from ignition sources.
In the recent deadly fire in Gloversville, an investigation found only one smoke alarm was in the structure at 34 Fifth Ave. and it was inoperable because it had no battery.
Some fire-safety suggestions from the Gloversville Fire Department include:
Please take the time to prepare for the worst. It just might save your life.