Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Gloversville blaze displaces seven

March 11, 2013
By LEVI PASCHER , The Leader Herald

GLOVERSVILLE - A fire in a Main Street house Sunday injured an occupant and a firefighter and displaced a family of seven, fire officials said.

The cause of the fire was traced to a child playing with a lighter, Fire Chief Beth Whitman-Putnam said.

The Fire Department responded to the fire at 261 S. Main St., a two-story, one-family home, at 8:53 a.m. It was out by 11 a.m., the chief said.

Article Photos

A fire at a house at 261 S. Main St. in Gloversville, shown above this morning, displaced seven occupants, officials said.
The Leader-Herald/Levi Pascher

The occupants had gotten out of the house before firefighters arrived, fire officials said.

However, one of the occupants was injured while trying to put out the fire before firefighters arrived, Whitman-Putnam said.

The person, whose hair was singed, suffered from smoke inhalation, the chief said. The person was not taken to the hospital.

The chief said a firefighter was injured after he fell down stairs. The firefighter was treated and released from the hospital.

Upon arrival at the fire scene, firefighters saw smoke coming from a second-story window, a news release said.

Firefighters entered the house and found heavy smoke on the second floor and fire in a bedroom. The fire extended into the attic area, the news release said.

The bedroom sustained extensive fire, heat and smoke damage, and the remainder of the second floor sustained moderate smoke damage and minor heat damage.

A portion of the attic sustained minor fire and heat damage and moderate smoke damage.

The first floor sustained minor water damage, officials said.

Whitman-Putnam said the house will be livable after repairs are done.

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family of two adults and four children.

The Red Cross provided temporary housing, comfort kits and financial aid for food, clothing and shoes, a news release from the Red Cross said.

Whitman-Putnam said a child was playing with a lighter in a room.

"Juvenile fire starting has been identified as the fastest-growing fire threat in the U.S. and results in thousands of fires, hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property damage, so it is a real problem," Whitman-Putnam said.

Levi Pascher covers Gloversville news. He can be reached by email at gloversville@leaderherald.com.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web