Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Town awards contract for cleanup at mill site

September 20, 2012
By ARTHUR CLEVELAND , The Leader Herald

AMSTERDAM - Town officials will move forward with the cleanup of contaminated soil at the site of a former Pioneer Street knitting mill.

Town Supervisor Thomas DiMezza signed a resolution Wednesday awarding the contract for the cleanup of the former site of Rural Hosier Mill - which was demolished in 2008 - to J.H. Maloy Inc., a firm out of Loudonville.

Larry Rogers, president of Delaware Engineering and town engineer, said the soil on the sight was "lightly contaminated" because industrial chemicals from the mill's operating days were absorbed into the ground.

To clean the site, Rogers said, the plan is to take the contaminated soil and place it in the basement of the old building. From there, 2 feet of clean soil would be placed over the contaminated soil and where it came from. The area would then be seeded with grass, and an environmental easement would be placed on the sight.

"It basically tells the world 'don't be digging,'" Rogers said.

Rogers said the use of the site after the cleanup would be for "passive recreation," which could accommodate something such as a park.

DiMezza said work would begin before the end of the year and will finish sometime in 2013.

According to DiMezza, the cleanup of the site will cost the town $212,000.

However, the town is short $50,000 on the project.

DiMezza said he would try to get the state to help with the required funding. DiMezza said he believes the state would probably turn over 90 percent of the funding, leaving the town to pay for the remaining 10 percent.

According to DiMezza, this would be on top of the more than $500,000 already paid out for the demolition and other costs related to the project.

Before demolition occurred in 2008, several other tenants had used the building, but it was eventually abandoned. Around 80 55-gallon drums were found inside and outside the building. Later, the drums were found to contain solvents, oils and inks, among other substances. This was the first time the town or engineers have known what was inside the drums.

"And there are just as many 1- and 5-gallon pails full of inks and adhesives," Rogers said in 2008.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web