Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Dolgeville halted at half

September 9, 2012
By MIKE ZUMMO ( , The Leader Herald

DOLGEVILLE - Those wanting to see the conclusion to Saturday's game between the Dolgeville Blue Devils and the Mohawk Mohicans will have to wait until Monday.

Immediately after the second quarter ended, the skies opened and a torrential downpour, coupled with thunder and lightning, sent both teams and spectators running for cover inside Dolgeville High School.

The second half almost began.

Article Photos

Dolgeville’s Devin Coonradt attempts to stiff-arm Mohawk’s Mike Santillo during Saturday’s game at Bynon Field in Dolgeville. The game was suspended at halftime due to inclement weather. (The Leader-Herald/Mike Zummo)

After an hour delay, Dolgeville coach Chris Connolly and Mohawk coach Roy Upson - with the rain still coming down - walked out to the field to check the surface. Officials ruled the field playable and both coaches prepared to start the second half of play with the Blue Devils leading the Mohicans 14-12.

However, just as the Blue Devils were about to take the field, an update came from the officials. A flash of lightning was spotted and the game was suspended due to weather.

"This is a first in my lifetime," Connolly said.

The Mohicans will return to Bynon Field at 5 p.m. Monday.

In a game where Mohawk seemed to grab the momentum, it was Mother Nature who stole it from both teams with Saturday's rain.

The Blue Devils had scored the game's first 14 points, but the Mohicans answered with 12 points in the second quarter. On the last play of the half, quarterback Carson Murphy hit Mike Santillo for a 33-yard touchdown pass that the receiver barely managed to cross the goal line with.

Upson tried to go for two points, but Carson was stuffed shy of the goal line, preserving the Blue Devils' two-point lead.

The Blue Devils grabbed the early momentum, taking advantage of Mohawk mistakes early.

After forcing a three-and-out, the Blue Devils methodically marched down the field. Starting at their own 37-yard line, Dolgeville engineered a nine-play, 63-yard drive that chewed about four minutes off the game clock.

The drive culminated in Reid Johnson's 40-yard touchdown pass to Alex Johnson. Tyler Richards' extra point gave the Blue Devils a 7-0 lead.

The defense responded by pushing the Mohicans back 10 yards into a fourth-and-20 on the Mohawk 23. Then a bad snap on the ensuing punt put the Blue Devils in business at the Mohawk 7-yard line.

One play later, Austin LaVeck pounded the ball into the end zone on a 7-yard run giving the Blue Devils a 14-0 lead.

However, as the second quarter began, the Mohicans gained the momentum as Zakk Zuranski broke a 77-yard touchdown run with 10:50 remaining in the quarter.?Then, the Blue Devils' next drive stalled at the Mohawk 40-yard line.

Dolgeville had another possession, but that went nowhere as the ball went back to Mohawk with 39 seconds left.

Murphy completed a a 13-yard pass and ran for another 11, setting up his last-second pass to Santillo that nearly tied the score.

When the teams broke for the half, Mohawk had the momentum, but it is unclear if that momentum can survive the two-day layoff.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web