Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Firefighter treated after Root house fire

July 26, 2011
The Leader Herald

ROOT - A firefighter received medical attention after battling a blaze that destroyed a one-story wood-frame house at 115 Lynk St. on Monday morning.

The alarm came in at 9:24 a.m., according to Montgomery County Fire Coordinator Dwight Schwabrow.

The fire originated in the attached garage and spread to the house, Schwabrow said. Passing motorists noticed the fire and alerted neighbors, who called 911. Additional 911 callers reported several explosions, which Schwabrow said were caused by oxygen and fuel tanks.

No one was home at the time of the fire, Schwabrow said.

Firefighter Jeffrey Kaczor collapsed at the scene and was taken to a hospital by ambulance, then airlifted to Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion and released.

Schwabrow said the house is the home of a husband and wife as well as an elderly person. The American Red Cross provided financial assistance for food and clothing, and the occupants are staying with relatives.

Firefighters from the Rural Grove, Ames, Canajoharie, Charleston, Glen and Mohawk fire departments responded to the blaze.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web