ROCKWOOD - A house on County Highway118 is still standing but is described as a total loss after a fire Sunday night.
Mark Sousa, chief of the Rockwood-Garoga-Lassellsville Volunteer Fire Department, said this morning the first alarm came in at 9 p.m. Sunday for the fire at 131 County Highway 118. The house was in flames when firefighters arrived, Sousa said.
The lone occupant of the house was not at home when the fire started, Sousa said. A neighbor let the dog out, he said.
Firefighters this morning work at the scene of a house fire on Route 118 in Rockwood. The fire Sunday destroyed the house.
The Leader-Herald/Bill Trojan
One firefighter slipped on the ice and was slightly injured, Sousa said. No one else was hurt.
No cause has been determined yet, Sousa said.
Firefighters probably will return to the scene later today, and Fulton County Fire Coordinator Alan Polmateer will be there, Sousa said.
"We can't get inside right now. It's pretty unstable. There are lots of propane tanks and heaters inside, and it looks like lots of books and papers in there," Sousa said this morning.
Firefighters from the Ephratah, Sir William Johnson, Meco and Caroga Lake volunteer fire departments assisted. The Oppenheim Volunteer Fire Department was on standby, Sousa said.
John R. Becker can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.