Matt Begeal (Wells) won the second game of a doubleheader, leading the Hilbert College baseball team to a sweep of Keuka.
Begeal’s older brother, Brady, is a pitcher for Keuka. He allowed two runs in three innings of the first game.
Begeal won the Coach’s Award for men’s soccer during Hilbert’s Spring Banquet. He finished the baseball season with a .253 average, including two doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
• Lindsey Heiser (Canajoharie) threw a perfect game to lead the Mohawk Valley Community College softball team to an 18-0 blowout victory over the State University of New York at Cobleskill.
She is the first player in MVCC softball history to accomplish the feat of retiring every batter she faced. She also had four hits, including three singles, a solo home run and finished with three RBIs.
She also helped MVCC to two wins over Broome Community College. She won the first game 5-1 and scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning of the second game, giving the Lady Hawks a 9-8 win.
• Megan Papierniak (Fonda-Fultonville) homered twice in a doubleheader, but the St. Peter’s softball team was swept by Marist and denied its second straight trip to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament.
Papierniak finished the season with a team-high .296 batting average. She hit eight doubles, one triple, seven home runs, drove in 21 runs and scored 13. All expect triples were team highs for the season.
• Katie Finch (Broadalbin-Perth) was named a SUNY Cortland Athlete of the Week after earning SUNY Athletic Conference tournament MVP honors leading the Red Dragons’ softball team to its second straight title.
She earned all four tournament wins and struck out 48 batters in 32 2/3 innings. She broke her previous school strikeout record, fanning 216 batters.
Cortland will head to the NCAA Division III Plattsburgh State Regional, where it earned the fourth seed and will face No. 5 Eastern Connecticut State.
• Dave Gage (Broadalbin-Perth) tripled, doubled twice and scored six runs as the Southern Vermont College baseball team split four games with the University of Maine — Presque Isle.
• Garrett Duross (Johnstown) helped the Mohawk Valley Community College baseball team to six wins in eight games and earned the school’s Athlete of the Week honor.
Duross went 12-for-24 at the plate, which included a double, three triples, eight RBIs and 11 runs scored.
• Steve Brandis (Fonda-Fultonville) won the discus for the Oneonta State track and field team with a throw of 36.65 meters at the Oneonta State May Meet against Plattsburgh State.
• Makenzie Sager (Johnstown) scored two goals and had two assists in the Herkimer County Community College women’s lacrosse team’s 19-3 win over Broome CC in the regular-season finale.