Erica Cutspec (Fort Plain) had a hit in the third inning of the first game of a doubleheader against Division I Cornell, giving her a career total of 180 hits for the Ithaca College softball team.
She is now fourth on the Bombers’ all-time list. Ithaca College recently has been ranked ninth in the most recent National Fastpitch Coaches Association poll.
Cutspec is second on the team with a .459 batting average. She has five doubles, four triples, a home run and 17 RBIs. She also has stolen eight bases.
• Dave Gage (Broadalbin-Perth) continues to hit for the Southern Vermont College baseball team.
The freshman second baseman ran his hitting streak to 10 games last week when he had three hits, two RBIs and two runs scored, sparking a game-tying rally that ended in a 14-10 loss to Williams College.
• Kristen Stein (Gloversville) had another successful day for the Oneonta State women’s track and field team as she was part of the 1,600 relay team that placed second at the State University of New York Athletic Conference championship meet with a time of 4:02.73.
The time was an Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference qualifying mark.
Stein also was on the second-place 400 relay team.
The team also took third a week earlier at the Cortland Invitational with a time of 4:09.12.
For the men, Steve Brandis (Fonda-Fultonville) was sixth in the shot put with a distance of 12.70 at the SUNYAC meet. He was sixth in the discus a week earlier at Cortland with a throw of 39.25 meters.
• Katie Finch (Broadalbin-Perth) helped the SUNY Cortland softball team to a 30-win season for the seventh straight year when she fired a three-hit shutout at St. John Fisher.
She struck out 10 batters reaching double digits for the third straight game and 10th time this season. Finch is 14-6 on the season with a 0.63 ERA and has 168 strikeouts in 134 1/3 innings.
Cortland will be the second seed in the upcoming SUNYAC tournament after finishing with identical marks to Plattsburgh State, which owned the tiebreaker.
• Matt Begeal (Wells) doubled and drove in a run in the Hilbert College baseball team’s rain-shortened loss to Cazenovia College Saturday.
• Bryan Yurkewecz (Fonda-Fultonville) was second in the 1,500 meters for the University at Albany men’s track and field team at the Union Invitational Saturday.
Yurkewecz finished with a time of 4:06.57.
• Mackenzie Sager (Johnstown) scored five goals in the Herkimer County Community College women’s lacrosse team’s 26-24 victory over Jefferson Community College last week.
Mike Zummo is a sports reporter for The Leader-Herald. We invite your feedback on this or any other sports-related topic. E-mail your opinions or ideas to us at email@example.com.