Steve Brandis (Fonda-Fultonville) finished 10th in the discus at the Richard Stockton Osprey Open, meeting a State University of New York Athletic Conference qualifier in his first outdoor meet of the season for SUNY Oneonta.
His throw reached a distance of 36.51 meters.
Brandis was 18th in the shot put with a throw of 14.30 meters.
Kristen Stein (Gloversville) was 21st in the 200-meter dash for the Oneonta women’s team and finished with a time of 27.66.
Stein’s time was a personal best and qualified her for the SUNYAC meet.
• Ron Patterson (Gloversville) laid down a squeeze bunt, scoring the tying run for the Herkimer County Community College baseball team and helping the Generals to a 6-5 win and a doubleheader split with Erie Community College Thursday.
Patterson also hit an RBI single in the fourth inning.
• Katie Finch (Broadalbin-Perth) was named a SUNYAC Player of the Week Monday after posting three wins in five appearances and posting a 0.64 ERA. In 22 innings, she allowed nine hits and struck out 22 batters.
She posted a five-hit shutout on Plattsburgh State and earned a win and a save against SUNY New Paltz. She hasn’t allowed a run in her last 21 innings pitched.
• Dan Noonan (Fonda-Fultonville) overcame a shaky first inning Monday, going 5 2/3 innings and picking up the victory in the Plattsburgh State baseball team’s 6-4 victory against the SUNY Institute of Technology.
• Brady Begeal (Wells) suffered the loss in the second game as the Keuka baseball team was swept in a doubleheader by Lebanon Valley College.
After another doubleheader sweep, Keuka has lost eight straight.
• Kayla Miller (Johnstown) had two assists in the SUNY Morrisville women’s lacrosse team’s 13-9 loss to Mount St. Vincent.
She also had three goals and an assist in a 19-12 loss to Oswego State Saturday. She had two goals and an assist in Friday’s 9-4 win over Wells College.
• Erica Cutspec (Fort Plain) had a run-scoring groundout in the first game and an RBI single in the second, helping the Ithaca College softball team to a doubleheader sweep over St. John Fisher.
The Bombers are ranked 20th among NCAA Division III schools and have won 29 straight Empire 8 games, the longest in any sport.
• Megan Papierniak (Fonda-Fultonville) drove in the first run of the game as the St. Peter’s softball team beat Niagara 3-0 in the first game of a doubleheader Monday.
The Peahens lost the second game 9-0 and earned a split.
Papierniak’s double was the Peahens’ only hit in the second game of a doubleheader sweep by Canisius.
Mike Zummo is a sports reporter for The Leader-Herald. We invite your feedback on this or any other sports-related topic. E-mail your opinions or ideas to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.