Fire safety worth effort
A couple of recent fires provided us with a tragic reminder about how important fire safety is, especially when it comes to children.
Two fires in Gloversville last month were started by children using lighters. The blaze at a Fifth Avenue home on March 20 resulted in the death of a 41-year-old man.
Local fire officials have noted nationwide one of the leading causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children younger than age 10 is playing with a heat source, including matches and lighters.
However, there is more to fire safety than keeping children away from ignition sources.
In the recent deadly fire in Gloversville, an investigation found only one smoke alarm was in the structure at 34 Fifth Ave. and it was inoperable because it had no battery.
Some fire-safety suggestions from the Gloversville Fire Department include:
- Make sure ignition materials are properly stored out of the reach of children.
- Install and maintain operable smoke alarms. Install smoke alarms inside and outside of the sleeping areas and on every level of the home.
- Have an escape plan in the event of a fire. If there is smoke, crawl to the nearest exit.
- Parents, caregivers, educators and youth providers should work together to ensure the safety of children and be aware of situations that may allow children to engage in behavior that could cause fires. People can contact their local fire department for assistance.
Please take the time to prepare for the worst. It just might save your life.