Tri-county blotter


Pair charged with stealing batteries

FLORIDA — Two people were charged by State Police Monday with third-degree grand larceny after allegedly stealing numerous marine/RV batteries from campers at Alpin Haus in the town.

Charles Griffen, 32, of Albany was charged with third-degree grand larceny and third-degree criminal trespassing; Kristen Pohl, 24, of Schenectady was charged with third-degree grand larceny.

After about a two-week long investigation, police had been called to Alpin Haus for several instances of marine/RV batteries being stolen from campers at the facility. Some of the campers there belong to customers who had them there for repair work and some of the campers are new.

On Monday, surveillance footage of the suspects’ vehicle led to a traffic stop and recovery of 17 batteries that Griffen and Pohl had allegedly stolen.


During an interrogation, it was admitted that the Griffen and Pohl allegedly stole the batteries from numerous trailer parks within the capital district and had been taking them to local scrap yards.

Both Griffen and Pohl were arraigned in Amsterdam City Court and committed to the Montgomery County Correctional Facility. Griffen’s bail was set at $25,000 and Pohl’s bail at $10,000. Both are to appear in Florida Town Court in May. Additional charges are pending in the town, as well as other jurisdictions in the Capital District area, as the investigation continues.

Gloversville man facing charges

GLOVERSVILLE — Erik J. Kilmartin, 42, of 110 N. Main St. Apt. 4, was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief by city police on April 26 at 2:57 a.m.

Kilmartin was taken into custody after an investigation into a disorderly conduct complaint. Investigating officers allege that Kilmartin damaged the property of another individual.


Kilmartin was transported to the station where he was processed and held for arraignment.

Hagaman man charged with DWI

GLOVERSVILLE — Gareth N. Phelps, 22, of 290 Route 132, Hagaman, was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation and driving while intoxicated by city police April 28 at 3:30 a.m.

City police conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle with no license plate lamps on Grove Street, identifying Phelps as the driver.

During the course of investigation, officers had reason to believe Phelps may have been driving under the influence. Police conducted a field sobriety test on Phelps that yielded positive results for driving while under the influence of alcohol. Additionally, Phelps’ license was found to be suspended.


Phelps was transported to the station where he was processed and held for arraignment.