Social media threat made for GMS
GLOVERSVILLE — The Gloversville Enlarged School District said in a statement Sunday that a threat to the Gloversville Middle School posted on social media and received by city police over the weekend had been deemed not credible following investigation.
The statement from GESD said that a threat was posted on Snapchat over the weekend that a school shooting would take place at the middle school on Monday. A parent notified local law enforcement of the threat, who alerted school district officials.
Following an investigation, the Gloversville Police Department deemed the threat not credible.
“Please know that the safety of our students and staff is a primary concern for the district and any threats of violence, even when deemed not credible, are taken very seriously,” the school district’s statement read.
GESD Superintendent of Schools Robert DeLilli said today that police would be present on the campuses of the middle school and Gloversville High School in the morning in a precautionary measure to reassure students and staff.
DeLilli said that although police could not substantiate the threat, it was a security issue for the school district and having a visible police presence on site would provide reassurance.
According to DeLilli, police plan to remain outside of the buildings in parking areas and student drop-off locations.
DeLilli noted that the police investigation into the threat was ongoing and the individual who made the initial threat had not yet been identified.
“City police and state police did an outstanding job investigating,” DeLilli said. “They didn’t brush it off or say it’s just an idle threat, they investigated and I’m pleased with what they did.”
The district has not made any plans to alter security measures at this time, but DeLilli said that he will be discussing options, including the addition of a school resource officer, with the GESD Board of Education.
“We will take appropriate measures that are legal and that this community can tolerate,” DeLilli said. “At this point in time the message to administrators is to be vigilant and be mindful of the existing protocols.”
In light of the threat to the middle school and the recent school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, DeLilli said he will be reminding school staff to ensure that all doors are locked, side doors are not propped open and all protocols used to secure the buildings are followed.
DeLilli reiterated the school district’s statement that whoever posted the threat to the middle school on Snapchat would face legal consequences when identified by police.
“Those determined to be responsible for such threats will face legal consequences. If a student or students are involved, they will also be disciplined in accordance with the school’s Code of Conduct,” the statement read. “If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s building principal. If you have any information regarding this incident, please contact Gloversville P.D. or the New York State Police.”