Toddler improving

At 7-months-old, weighed only 13 lbs.

GLOVERSVILLE — The baby who was found starving after allegedly being deprived of food and nourishment, is doing better now, according to city police.

Crystyl J. Mohrlock-Young, 29, of 18 Pearl St., Apartment 2, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child by city police on Monday after the seven-month-old was found malnourished and severely underweight in September.

Detectives allege that the investigation revealed that Mohrlock-Young intentionally failed to provide food to an infant child in her care, over the period of several months.

Child protective case workers allegedly discovered unopened cans of formula in the residence the day the infant was removed.

The baby has been in foster care since then.

According to Capt. Michael Scott, although social workers are being careful about releasing information about the child at this time, police do know the baby is doing better than he was when he was found earlier this fall.

Scott said the baby, who was born in Florida in February, weighed 13 pounds when he was discovered in September. According to the Centers for Disease Control, a child of that age should weigh anywhere from 16 to 24 pounds.

“It appears the child did not gain any weight for the first [seven] months,” Scott said.

Scott said officials from the county’s Department of Social Services discovered the baby when they arrived to check on another child in the household. He said Mohrlock-Young had two other children living with her at the time. Those two are currently in the care of other family members.

He said detectives continued to try and follow up with Mohrlock-Young following the removal of the child, but she has not cooperated, eluding police and not talking about the situation.

“There were a series of follow-ups with detectives trying to touch base with her, they just couldn’t find her. She wouldn’t answer calls. She wouldn’t answer the door,” he said.

Mohrlock-Young is known to city police, but Scott said he could not go into detail about how at this point.

Scott said it appears that other adults may have been in the apartment at the time this was going on.

Scott said that if anyone suspects a child is being hurt or neglected they should call police. He said if people don’t feel comfortable doing that, they can contact the state Child Protective Services hotline at 1-800-342-3720. According to the state, those who are deaf or hard of hearing can contact TDD/TTY at 1-800-638-5163 or have a Video Relay System provider call 1-800-342-3720.

When asked how the officers who responded to the scene were doing after this, Scott said it was nothing his officers could have prepared for.

“They’re doing well. It was very disturbing,” Scott said. “Looking at the photos of what they saw is just something … there is no way to prepare yourself for something like that.”

Mohrlock-Young is due back in court on Monday.

This baby was the third allegedly hurt by a parent in the month of September that was reported to police.

On Sept. 9, city police were called to Nathan Littauer Hospital for a report of a week-old infant boy who had sustained a fractured skull, amongst other serious physical injuries.

The newborn’s father, Andrew S. Allen, was charged with first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and second-degree attempted assault, all felonies, by city police the morning of Sept. 9.

Officers said on that Allen was allegedly involved in an argument with the baby’s mother and struck the child in the head with a partially-closed fist, resulting in the infant sustaining serious injury to his skull.

On Sept. 28, members of the GPD Detective Division were called about a New York State Child Abuse Hotline Report which had been made in regards to an infant male child. The report stated that the infant was suffering from a fractured skull, and was hospitalized at Albany Medical Center.

Gloversville police detectives discovered that on Sept. 27, at about 2:30 a.m., members of the city police patrol division had responded to the report of a domestic violence incident at 5 Alexander St. in the city.

Police alleged that it was later determined, through interviews conducted, that the infant child had sustained the fractured skull during this domestic violence incident, and that parties involved in the domestic violence incident had failed to report the injury to the police. City police detectives alleged that the 2-month-old baby’s father, Marcus E. Ralbovsky, struck the infant in the head, causing the skull fracture.

Ralbovsky, 29, of 5 Alexander St. was charged with second-degree assault in that incident on Oct. 4.