Area power outage fixed in short time

MOHAWK — Power was out for parts of Fulton and Montgomery counties on Tuesday after issues at a substation.

Fulton County Civil Defense Director Steve Santa Maria said today that power went out at around 8:30 a.m. and was out for about two hours.

The issue originated the substation on Stoner Trail Road in Johnstown and caused the outage for nearly 4,488 people between the two counties. The outage was located in the city of Johnstown, town of Johnstown, town of Mohawk and town of Amsterdam.

“We were aware of it sometime around 8:30 in the morning and power was restored right around 10:30 a.m. So it turned out to be a relatively short outage, but it affected a lot of people,” Santa Maria said.

The Route 67 corridor, including Fulton-Montgomery Community College; County Highway 107 and along parts of Route 30A were affected. Morning classes were canceled at Fulton-Montgomery Community College following the outage. The college reopened at 3 p.m.

Santa Maria said there were no traffic incidents related to the incident. The reverse 911 system was put in place to alert people to avoid Route 30A corridor to help with congestion.

“No accidents were reported or any injuries as a result of the power outage,” Santa Maria said. “Everyone used restraint and patience I think. Some of the intersections were pretty congested.”

Santa Maria said the city of Gloversville and possibly the city of Johnstown put up temporary stop signs. He said the city of Gloversville police were directing traffic at the intersection of Route 30A and Harrison Street.

“Everybody did a good job yesterday. I want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding. National Grid was right on top of it,” he said.

It is unknown at this time what the problem at the substation was.

Santa Maria said in situations like this, drivers should use extreme caution around intersections.

“Anytime power is out or traffic lights are out, use due diligence and pay attention. People are going to do unexpected things in those situations,” he said.

For home safety, Santa Maria said people with generators should remember to never run inside the house or an attached garage. Any temporary heating devices should be URL listed and approved and have tip over safety switches and O2 sensors.

“Don’t ever use your kitchen stove or oven for a temporary source of heat. Try to avoid using candles,” he said.

Santa Maria said people should always prepare ahead of time so if an outage goes on for a day or more they are prepared. Having flashlights with fresh batteries and 72 hours worth of food, water and medication is helpful.

“The best thing is to have a plan ahead of time,” he said.

Kerry Minor can be reached at kminor@leaderherald.com.

COMMENTS