House fire injures two

Gloversville firefighters responded to 25 Grand St. at 3:35 this morning for a structure fire. (The Leader-Herald/James A. Ellis)

GLOVERSVILLE — Quick action by city police and firefighters may have helped save the lives of three people this morning during a house fire, said Fire Chief Tom Groff.

Groff said Gloversville police officer Melinda Palmer discovered the fire at 25 Grand St. around 3:35 a.m.

Groff said the fire may have begun on the first floor and extended into the second floor of the two-family unit.

Upon arrival, emergency personnel found one male occupant outside of the unit, with three people still trapped inside. Battalion Chief Brandt Minkler went to the rear of the building and heard people banging on the door, unable to get past several large items blocking the exit.

“The fire was extending into the second-floor apartment and smoke conditions were untenable,” said Groff. “Minkler was able to remove the items and assist the two additional occupants to safety.”

He said that without the actions of the police and fire officials, the “outcome could have been drastically different.”

Those two individuals were taken to Nathan Littauer Hospital by the Fulton County Ambulance Service before being airlifted to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse.

Groff said they are expected to be OK following the ordeal.

Groff said the swift fire response represents a great team effort between the Gloversville Fire Department, Johnstown Fire Department, Gloversville Police Department and Fulton County Ambulance Service.

“It was a great team effort today. My guys did a great job of getting the fire knocked down and getting the two people out of the upstairs apartment and the [police] helped get the one person out. The ambulance service and Johnstown showed up and that was critical manpower,” Groff said. “It was a great effort.”

A pet snake and pet rodent in separate cages perished in the blaze.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.