City sewer pipe repairs completed

Workers from WM. Schultz Construction of Ballston Spa work on East Pine Street Friday afternoon to remove the items that were put in place during the sewer bypass. (The Leader-Herald/Kerry Minor)

GLOVERSVILLE — City officials said the ongoing sewer work that has been happening along the Cayadutta Creek was finished on Friday.

Department of Public Works head Dale Trumbull announced during Tuesday’s Common Council meeting that the work should be completed by the weekend or possibly by mid-week next week.

This announcement was meet by cheers from Council members and some in the gallery during the meeting.

“I know the people on Pine Street will be happy to hear that,” Mayor Dayton King said.

King said Friday that the bypass system was turned off that morning and by late afternoon or evening, all the equipment would be cleaned up.

“Everything will be flowing like it should be,” King said.

In April, a resident on River Street noticed sewage in the Cayadutta Creek. The city found the sewage was coming in from a break in the 1903 vitreous clay trunk sewer.

It was later discovered that a 2 1/2 foot long and 15 inch wide break occurred in an exposed section of pipe.

Chad Kortz of C.T. Male Associates in Latham said in May that the break likely occurred sometime around February 23 during a period of heavy rains.

The city has been working to replace the section of pipe from East Pine Street to roughly the Beaver Street brush drop off site. Wm. Shultz Construction of Ballston Spa has been doing the work.

The city needed to replaced around 1,000 feet of pipe following the break.

The pipe is also showing signs of infiltration from various cracks along the piping from tree roots breaking through. In addition, a video taken of the pipe shows the sides of it are caked in grease.

The sewer line had be bypassed from East Pine Street to South Main Street during this time.

Workers hit a number of snags along the way, including the discovery of petroleum, arsenic and chromium in the area around the former Twin City Leather building near River Street. The petroleum has likely been on the site for decades.

These had to be dealt with before construction could resume.

High amounts of ground water were found in the area. During construction, contractors found an abandoned 8-inch clay sewer tile that is likely the original sewer that went along the creek before the new clay pipe was installed in 1903.

Storms this summer were also a challenge as workers tired to do creek crossings that were needed. To do it, the creeks had to be pumped around or partially dammed. No damage was done by the storm, but setbacks were created due to the weather.

In August, the Common Council agreed to pass a motion that would allow the mayor to sign a $320,500 contract to deal with the contamination issues.

The move will see the mayor sign an agreement with Schultz to bring in a filtration system capable of removing the contaminates from the ground water. The pricing includes set up, monthly rental, filters and demobilization.

King said the city still has a bit of debris to haul away to the Fulton County Landfill, but that all of the material will be cleaned up shortly.

King said it feels awesome to finally have the work done. He said he was frustrated when the August deadline passed with the work still not finished. He said he was given an Oct. 15 possible completion date, so to have it finished roughly a month before is a relief.

“I think we acted very quickly. The council acted quickly. Dale Trumbull did a great job. We brought the governor’s office in and the state Department of Environmental Conservation,” King said.

King said no money came out of the general fund to pay for it. It will be paid for overtime with grants and possibly through zero percent loans.

Kerry Minor can be reached at