Historic Edinburg Day set
EDINBURG – The Edinburg Historical Society will hold its 24th Historic Edinburg Day at the Edinburg Four Corners on July 18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Historic Edinburg Day will be celebrated by the Edinburg community with most sites located within walking distance of the Four Corners, a news release said. Enjoy the view as you cross the Great Sacandaga Lake on the new Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York.
The Historic Edinburg Day festivities will include free horse and wagon rides between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. provided by Joel and Denise Ferguson of J & D Percherons.
Roy Pearsall’s historic one-room Sand Hill Schoolhouse and Grange Hall on the corner of Tange and Northville Roads will be open to the public from 9 a.m. until noon.
Historic displays at the Rural Museum, 11 North Shore Road, show different aspects of life in early Edinburg and will include demonstrations by: Arlene Rambush of Deerhaven Studio, hand weaving; Fran Mazzoli, spinning and knitting, Paul and Elliot Fernhout, old tools and a peddle powered saw; Dorothy Edwards of Maple Sugar Farms, relates how maple syrup is made and also sells her delicious syrup and maple sugar candy. The Rural Museum event includes a bake sale and an Arts and Crafts Show. Raffle tickets will be sold for three chances to win three prizes, a piece of furniture from Rusty Greaves, a framed photo by Norma Porteus and a handmade afghan by Andrea Blackwood.
The newly renovated Nellie Tyrrell Museum will be open for the festival and resumes its summer schedule of Saturdays, 12 noon to 3 p.m.
Come see the Batchellerville Presbyterian Church (founded 1867) located across the Batchellerville Bridge and the Edinburg United Methodist Church (founded 1836). The Sacandaga Senior Citizens will be selling hot dogs with all the trimmings. The Edinburg Emergency Squad will have a blood pressure clinic and fundraisers to help the squad. The Edinburg United Methodist Church is having a White Elephant Sale. People will be able to see the fire trucks at the Edinburg Fire Department.
For more information, call Maria Spaeth, president at or call 863-7063